The current nationally listed buildings and scheduled monuments found in the parish comprise:
- Witton Hall and Wall Attached Grade II*
- Barn at Witton Hall Farm Grade II
- Church of St Michael and All Angels Grade II
- Former Smithy to West of No 29 Grade II
- Fyndoune and Fyndoune Mews Grade II
- Well House Fyndoune Mews Grade II
- Kaysburn House Grade II
- Kimblesworth Grange Farmhouse with Wall and Outhouse Attached Grade II
Click the highlighted text above to link to the The British Listed Buildings Web site for a full description of the listing.
In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson’s Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Witton Gilbert like this:
WITTON-GILBERT, a village and a parish in Chester-le-Street district, Durhamshire. The village stands near the Consett railway, 3¼ miles NW by W of Durham; took the latter part of its name from Gilbert de la Ley, the owner of the manor in the time of Bishop Pudsey; and has a post-office under Durham, and a r. station. The parish includes five hamlets, and comprises 2,535 acres. Real property, £10,544; of which £4,300 are in mines, and £1,351 in railways. Pop. in 1851, 1,758; in 1861, 2,098. …
Houses, 421. The property is divided chiefly among four. A lepers’ hospital was founded here by Gilbert de la Ley; and is now represented by only a fragment in a farmhouse. The living is a rectory, united with Kimbleworth, in the diocese of Durham. Value, £303.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of D. The church was rebuilt in 1859. The vicarage of Sacristan is a separate benefice. There are several Methodist chapels, two national schools, and charities £15.